Saturday, July 17, 2010

Settling In

The last couple of days I have been working with Nimbus trying to build a relationship with him. We have been working thru most of his meals on simple things like sit, down, left, right, and stand. Obviously I have not given cues for these things. He is doing really great with them. Today we added a "wave". I have begun to shape this with the clicker. It is very amusing watching him try to figure out what it was that got the click. He really started getting it towards the end of his meal. What I was looking for today was for him to lift his paw. By the end of the meal he was "waving" his right paw at me for kibble. Tonight, we thought we would clip the tips of his nails. They have grown quite fast and are scratching us again. However, Nimbus was not having any of that, so instead we are working on being comfortable on the table while laying on his side. I want to be able to groom him while on the table and of course I want him to be comfortable with it. So baby steps it is.

Yesterday, Nimbus got a new toy. He got a Zappo ball. It's a red ball that lights up and makes all sorts of noise when bounced. He loves it. He will pick it up and toss it and then go bounding after it. Every now and then he will bring it to one of us to throw for him, but for the most part he entertains himself with it. He has already torn a hole in one of his toys. I'm sure I can fix it, but I'm not sure for how long it will be safe. So it may be one that finds the recycle bin. Nimbus has also learned that the cat means business when she hisses at him. She has not actually gotten him, but has come close several times. Tonight we noticed he just looks at her and leaves her be. Maggie and Koda have finally taken to tolerating him. Maggie was very concerned about him when we were trying to clip his nails. She had to check and make sure he was ok. Koda has decided that barking at him doesn't make him go away and that playing with him is a lot more fun. I let the two of them run around together in the back yard yesterday and they both seemed to enjoy it...just them, no girls.

We are hoping for a play date with Potion tomorrow. That is if Jenn is feeling any better. I know Nimbus would love to play with Potion. She has a bit more energy than the minis at home.

Oh yeah, late at night, I let Nimbus roam around the living room so he can play and burn off some energy before we go to bed. I can always tell when it's time for bed. I acquire a new fuzzy rug at my feet. He loves to lay at my feet and get a belly rub. He's never far from one of us. I am so happy with him. He truly is a wonderful puppy and settling in well.

No comments:

Post a Comment