Wednesday, August 18, 2010

OOOOhhhhhhhh DUCKS!!!!!!

Yep that's what it says, ducks. Nimbus loves ducks. He especially likes to tell you off when you don't let him head off the ducks.

Today was the 'bus's first attempt at herding and he got to play with ducks. At first I was a little hesitant because when we first got to the farm Nimbus wanted to charge and bark at the ducks. Once he was in the pen with them he pretty much knew what to do...make the ducks go around in a circle. Well not exactly, but that's what he did, he even drove them out of the corners. I was so proud. The first time the instructor took him in because as with everything else with Nimbus, I have never even considered herding so therefor was completely clueless. She was quite impressed with how he wanted to head them off. She wasn't expecting that from a Sammy. He did really well. He did however not like that he could not head them off and would let you know it. He also did not like the rake that would block him and tried to bite at it once or twice. The second time he got to go in with the ducks, I took him in. I got a bit dizzy...wow, going in circles can do that to you. Nimbus was getting a bit excited and when I tried to make him lay down, I fell over and then could not get back up without help. Yes I admit this. It's part of my experience. Am I embarrassed? Of course, especially since Jenn was there video taping the whole thing. I eventually did get with help and the whole time I was down, Nimbus was over in a corner just watching the ducks and watching me. He was very concerned that his momma had fallen. That made me feel good because one, he really wanted to get to those ducks, but didn't and two, he was concerned for me and even after I got up he was not quite the same until he realized I was fine. I know we have a good bond. I LOVE my 'bus. Even with all of his crazy antics and days that I get frustrated, he is definitely where he should be....with me.

This week he will have his first puppy match. Friday we are going to Muncie, IN to compete in our first puppy match. This will be a first for both of us. Although I have been to handling classes and so has Nimbus, neither of us has competed in conformation and tho this is just a match, I am still a bit nervous. I am sure things will go just fine, but that doesn't make the butterflies I feel go away when I think about it. So, with that said, you can guess what tomorrow is going to be like for Nimbus. Yep, a bath, feet trimmed, and nails trimmed. He does not know this yet and I won't tell him until it's time.

I have recently learned that Nimbus is another Houdini. I have one with my Maggie. She could get out any type of enclosure we put her in. Apparently Nimbus is learning this skill. I am sure the short time he spent with his Aunt Venus didn't help much. He has squeezed through ring gating and just a few moments ago escaped his xpen by barreling through it. I would swear that boy has some kind of wizardly skill about him to walk through solid objects. We have also noticed him trying to figure out the latches on his crate at night. He watches very intently on how we use those and I have heard him fussing with them. I do stop that, however, I cannot stop it when he is in it while we are gone. Hopefully he will not discover how to get them open.

Well I think that's all I have for now...I will post again after his puppy match...wish us luck...and until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment