Friday, August 13, 2010

What Next???

This week has been very trying. Not only with Nimbus and his incessant barking, but with life in general. Like I mentioned last time, I had spent four days in Cincinnati, OH at training for Pure Romance. I had a great time, however, since I have been home, I really haven't had much time to spend with my family. Kenny has been working late, Brandon has been working and getting things ready to go back to school, Brock has been trying to get done what he needs done for school, and well my baby, Kolton started middle school this week. On top of that I have spent most of the week in doctors' offices for one thing or another. What a week!!!

Nimbus has decided that barking is a good way to let you know everything. When I say everything, I mean everything...he barks because he wants to go out, he barks because he wants to play, he barks because the other dogs bark, he barks because he wants a drink...I honestly cannot think of a reason why he doesn't bark. We have been trying many different approaches to this. The one that works the best is to take him out when he first starts barking and walk him around, play with him, give him time to potty. We usually give him about 10-15 minutes. He also gets a drink during this time. We come back in and put him back in the xpen. If he continues to bark, when he quiets for about 30 seconds to a minute we take him back out to make sure he doesn't still have business to do outside. Again, we give about 10-15 minutes. When we come back in we put him back in the xpen. If he still barks we try to ignore him. Usually he will stop and play or settle down. We have tried squirt bottles with water and shaker bottles. The shaker bottles just got him more excited. Apparently he just thought they were loud water bottle toys. The squirt bottle worked for a little bit, but now he thinks it's a game and bites at the water. I hope as he gets older he will not bark as much. I am thankful tho that his bark is not nearly as high pitched as it once was.

In the past week, Nimbus's ear has finally decided it wants to perk up. He looks so grown up now. He still has puppy face, however with no droopy ear he looks older. He continues to grow. I can't believe how much he has grown in the past week. He has had a busy week too. On Tuesday he had puppy class. He loves it when they get the tunnel out. This week they had the little tunnel, and I know by the time we go back in two weeks he will not be able to fit in it. He is doing very well about coming when called, even when playing with the other puppies. I was so proud of him. He is learning to settle and pay more attention to me when we are out and about. After puppy class we headed on over to a handling class that is just a few minutes away. Nimbus did great for his first handling class. I think he was trying to impress Potion, who did an awesome job at the class. Wednesday, I took 'bus to my cousin who grooms dogs, for a bath. Usually Kenny and I give him a bath, but with Kenny working so many extra hours I didn't have an extra set of hands to help so I had my cousin do it. He looked great when I picked him up. I need to trim his feet and nails, but I will be able to do that tomorrow when Kenny is home. Chuck, my cousin said he and Nimbus had an understanding. Nimbus lets him get done what needs to be done without too much fuss and Chuck will give him cookies. The rest of the week we spent working on the table and basic obedience. He is doing much better with the table, but I have noticed it is time for a new one, well at least one big enough for my busbus. He has almost completely outgrown the one I have for the minis.

Talking about the minis...Kolton and Harley have been working on obedience and agility in preparation for the Indiana State Fair 4H dog show coming up next weekend. They have been spending about 30 minutes every evening working on what homework Jenn gave them. I am excited about the fair this year. I don't expect them to place, but I do expect that they will do much better than in years past. Next week, Nimbus has his first puppy match in Muncie. All I am hoping for is for him to not completely blow his brain and for me to be able to keep mine as well.

Oh yeah, tonight was a bit of a surprise for him as far as Nimbus's behavior was concerned. He started showing some guarding issues. When I caught him guarding, I firmly told him NO and took away what he was guarding. Eventually he ended up in the xpen without any toys sulking. I will not allow that. I do not allow it from any of my dogs. I know with consistency and reminding him who is alpha, we will get thru this.

I am posting a few pictures of Nimbus: some are after his fun in the mud and a couple of are of his face with perky ears...enjoy...and until next time.....

Nimbus with Kenny after his romp in the mud

Who couldn't love that face, mud and all???

Nimbus says,"Playing in mud makes me tired."



I just think this it tooo cute.


"Look Mom no droopy ears!!!" He's growing too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment